Monday, November 17, 2014

Week 57: Back in Tanzania

Monday evening I almost signed my weekly email to everyone 'Til next time from Dar es Salaam' then walking out of the cyber about 3 hours before we got transfer news I mentioned to Elder Tebbs that I should have sent my pictures for the Christmas slideshow to the APs while I was on the computer. He replied don't worry next Monday is the deadline, and I came back with: "I'm not sure how the internet at the cyber will be in Dar es Salaam."

That was quite the call from President Hicken Monday night asking if I would be a Zone Leader in Dar es Salaam, and arriving here Friday up to now I am really excited and grateful to have the privilege to be here. I thought I would be really sad leaving that area and place but when I heard Tanzania, it was all excitement. I am excited to get to know the language really well and will pray for the gift of tongues and for the gift of interpretation. The Swahili they speak here is sooooooo much different and more pure than Kenyan Swahili.

Elder Moline is now a zone leader in Kitale- whitewashing it with his trainer.

Tuesday we went back to Mautuma- some members dropped by to say bye to me then I had an hour to pack which was crazy. Went to Kitale and spent the night then Wednesday morning took the 9 hour bus ride to Nairobi. Saw a lot of Elders because it was transfers which was fun. Elder Beacom (my companion in the hills) was the highlight. Also met Elder Williams from Raymond, Alberta.

Thursday just kinda sat around the mission office and flew out Friday afternoon. Got here (saw one of the Mt. Kilimanjaro peaks from the plane) and met the Micklesons (one of the senior couples here-- the other is the Smiths) and met both my companions. Yeah the Dar es Salaam zone is so bad and disobedient they need 3 ZLs over 8 other missionaries. Kidding- the real story is my companion is Elder Ita'aehau from Arizona (yes he is Tongan and yes, another from AZ) and Elder Kisesi is supposed to go to Kenya but his passport got stolen so he has to go through Uganda first then to Kenya. He will probably fly out sometime this week to Uganda.

Friday night got some niiiice chips mayai which is everywhere at night here in TZ

Saturday we had a funeral pretty much all day for the 1st Counselor of the Branch who passed away on Thursday, then Sunday after Church (yes which is all in Swahili), all of the branches went to the house and it was like a funeral service part 2. Looking forward to teaching some lessons this week- up to right now I have not taught a lesson since we were in Kipkarren on 8 November. Transfers in the Kenya Nairobi Mission!

Elder Ita'aehau, Elder Kisesi and I are doing great together her in Kinindoni, Dar es Salaam. It seems as if we have been together for a transfer as a 3-sum already. I just fit right in. It has been a few good days.
And my trainer, Elder Anderson, is coming over from Mwanza next week for Mission Leadership Council which will be suuuper sweet to be together again.

An Elder in a States Mission said this in his weekly email home—

"Our mission will be off of Facebook for a while because our whole Mission’s numbers are garbage. Last October we had 44 baptisms as a Mission, compared to 11 this October. Pretty lousy. Oh well, things will improve."

Elders- maybe you should send your iPads this side hahaha

Questions:

How many missionaries are serving in Dar es Salaam? 11 at the moment

Are you on bikes or walking? We have a Ford f150. But usually we walk and take Daladalas everywhere

Do they have a McDonalds? Nope but they do have a KFC in one of the malls and then a Subway a 6 minute walk from us! I went from the middle of nowhereeeeee to a huge city, a big change.

Can you go to soccer games? Depends

Do you live in the city? Kind of- more like a suburb. Still getting to know places.

Did you fly for the transfer? Yup! An hour flight

How close is Kilimanjaro? About a 30 minute plane ride or 12 hour bus ride

Do you have an actual address to mail to? Same one that everyone has used the past year! Send it to the mission office in Nairobi and they will get it to me.

What's your favorite thing about your Mission? Seeing people come unto Christ and being able to be a part of, and see their lives change for the better. Seeing the joy and happiness that the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings into people’s lives in such a blessed area of the world.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up, but til next week from TZ!!

Mzee Eveson

Much love from the KNM

Painting the Flats with Elder Tebbs
Leaving My Prints at the Palace
Arm hair stuck together from the paint
All skills learned at home come in handy on a mission!
Cake we made for the Flakes - ding dong ditched them with it
Heading to the Flakes for dinner -- all dressed up -- just because
Biking Selfie #1
That's how we roll!
Rush Hour Traffic
Enjoying the journey!
Bike Selfie #2
Tracting with Elder Tebbs
Zone Leaders in Dar es Salaam
Typical Egges & Veggie Breakfast
Typical Ugali Meal
Missionaries in Dar es Salaam, TZ
New companions in Dar

No comments:

Post a Comment