Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 49: Baby Eveson! Whaaaaaat?!

Woah, what a week. Baby Eveson? Don't jump to conclusions, rather give me a second to explain: Showed up to the flat of a member- his wife just had a baby the week before last and we have not visited since. His wife is not a member and he wants us to start teaching her after she is back to normal from pregnancy. It is hard for her to understand Swahili completely but we will start teaching her in a few months. Anyways- all this is besides the fact that he told us the babies first name is Eveson. I cant remember the middle and last name but that was pretty unexpected. Also, he wants me to give the baby blessing next month. I hope I'm not transferred.

Got news that next week we will be going from the worst flat in the mission to the nicest, and biggest in the mission. It is right by the market where the church is located, and it is a mansion. Only one anywhere near that in all the areas around. I want to spend a year in this area. I love the area as well as the soon to be flat of ours. Yet again-- I reallllly hope I am not transferred next week- that would be a bummer. Either my bags will be packed for transfers or packed to move flats!

This week we had exchanges with the Naitiri Elders, beforehand I was thinking who might go where and I thought I had it pretty well easily figured out but I prayed quite a bit about it and got a different answer than what I had thought- and the answer was for Elder Odundo (been out 5 weeks) coming to Mautuma to be with me and work together and Elder Kisekka to be with Elder Moline in Naitiri. All in all it went well and we were able to go see a less active with a member which was nice to find out where they stay and it turns out to be a part member family so I am looking forward to working with them.

This upcoming week we have exchanges again and I will be with Elder Dick in Mautuma which should be super fun.

This week we will be having the baptism for Francis- he is a referral from a member and he was a pastor in his former church for many years. He is really another Kingdom Builder being added to the branch. He is excited to join the church and really has been welcomed warmly to the branch as with all our investigators and recent converts. He is a great guy and everything we teach him he really agrees with and says this is how churches should be. He knows this is the true church which is awesome. He is a really humble guy and relies on the Lord a lot. He has referred his cousin and mom for us to start teaching.
 
Elder Cook of the Quorum of the 70 said that worldwide, 3 in every 1000 contacts missionaries make are baptized, but 1 in every 3 referrals missionaries receive are baptized. True dat. (Except for our area it is about 3/3). Needless to say, member missionary work is the bessssst. I hope yall are doing your part!

Eldoret/Kitale is really close to becoming a stake which is super sweet- I would not be surprised if I am still on mission when it happens, along with the Nairobi stake that is going to split into 2 sometime soon. The Lord is hastening His work.

Crazy that the Westgate Mall attack was 1 year ago- I remember being in Kaysville Utah hearing about that right before I came on mission.

Since we spend the night in Naitiri on Sunday nights, this morning at 5:30 we left and biked to a hill where there is a cell tower and watched the sunrise. It was super cool and gave me a flashback to the hunting days in Eastern Oregon. Anyways- I will try to get back to a few of your guys' emails after I send this off. Sorry about that. Time is always the shida. And thanks for the emails and pictures ya'll send!!

Found out just now that there is and Elder in this mission, Elder Williams from Raymond, Alberta who knew Elder Ellingson from home.

If you want you can actually text my email from your phone then I will have that address so if I email it, it comes as a text message to your phone. So if anyone wants to try that, karibuni. (And no the google translator is not right with that word)

Well, just to leave you with my testimony, I know the church is true, and the true book is blue. :)

Love Elder Eveson


Kitale, Kenya Zone
Top Row left to right:
Elder Eveson (Portland, OR, USA),
Elder Ochieng (Eldoret, Kenya),
Elder Moline (Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada),
Elder Kisekka (Uganda - my companion),
Elder Elliott (Kentucky, USA),
Bottom Row:
Elder Dick (Swansboro, NC, USA),
Elder Odundo (Nairobi, Kenya),
Elder Warwood (Nevada, USA),
and Elder Mwashi (Nairobi, Kenya)

No comments:

Post a Comment